Friday, April 3, 2009

Erin: Flowers

Steen and I went back to Mugana to collect CD4 data for our study. While we were there, I noticed this flower that really intrigued me. It is a beautiful fuchsia color and the stem and flower look furry. But the flowers grow in this weird fan shape rather than in circles. As I was admiring it, Sister Theresina notices me and encourages me to take some of the seeds home so that I can plant some for myself. I protest, but she tells me that I can hide the seeds from customs. She herself tried to sneak pickle into Tanzania (pickle is an Indian condiment made from many fruits and vegetables that essentially delivers spice to your food) but got caught and they took it from her. “I think they ate it” she said disappointedly.

So if you visit me next year and I have this weird pink fan flower growing in my kitchen, you know where I got it from. I’ve also been eyeing this purple gum-drop shaped flower ;)

1 comment:

  1. Love the pink fan flower...very beautiful. I would like to see its reproductive structures more closely. I don't recognize it, of course!

    ReplyDelete