Monday, May 11, 2009

Steen: Back in Dar

Hello All!

I have returned to Dar.  Erin and Chow are in Zanzibar tasting delicious spices and relaxing on the white sandy beaches.

Safari was most excellent.  Well, first, I went out to Zanzibar on Saturday in the wee hours of the morning (taxi picked me up at 4am to go to the airport)... got picked up at the airport by a driver, which took me hotel shopping (though I ended up staying at the first one, St. Monica's, as recommended by an ICAP Dr)... then went to Stone Town and enjoyed one of the best breakfasts ever at Passing Show Hotel, which was a cup of chai maziwa (milk tea with masala spices) and this kitubuwa or some kind of really tasty coconut pancake... all for about 35 cents (400 Tshilings).  It was so good. SO good.  Then, Spice Tour from 9 to 4pm or so.. tasted fresh spices and star fruit picked off the tree!..  also had my first taste of Jack fruit and guanabana.. plus some wandering around Stone Town, getting caught by a papasaai who took me all the way from the edge of Stone Town by the water where I wanted to grab a bite, to New Town, tricking me, but leading me on a bit of an adventure.  Eventually made it back to my streetfood by Africa House Hotel.... Sunday, the next morning, was a walking tour of Stone Town.. going through the markets was most excellent.  Got caught by another papasaai on my way to buy spices, but was much better at dealing with him than with the first guy... he wasn't calling the shots.  Then, headed off to airport to go to Arusha.  Oh, also received a marriage proposal and an "I want to be your boyfriend" from two 20something year old Zanzibari guys...  mmmm.. right.  haha.

6 Day Safari with Erin and Chow was great.  Lake Manyara. Serengeti. Ngorongoro.  Oh, and a day with the Masaai.  Serengeti was most awesome -- 100 elephants in one view, the wildebeest migration (wildebeest and zebra as far as the eye can see!)... and other fun things.  Stayed at an excellent tented camp and discovered that lodges have crappy food during the low season (unedible; and this is coming from a foodie who can't stop eating even when she is full.. if it tastes good.. and most things do... sometimes i left most of my plate; so bad). 

Yesterday, flew back to Dar.  Went up to The Slipway for some bargain shopping, which was fun.  Met some characters.  Ate some kiwi ice cream.

Today, office day.  A trip to the tailor for fittings.  Then, will go to city centre at night for dinner.  

Tomorrow, maybe off to Bongoyo Island... having an Ethiopian food craving, so probably going to Addis in Dar.... 

Flight has been delayed a day (they cancelled my Tuesday night flight), so will return to States Wednesday.  Flight leaves Dar at 10:50pm on Wed.. get back Thursday midday.  Yeps!

No pics for now... perhaps later!

No comments:

Post a Comment